In the month of November the challenge was to create a TANQUERAY NO.TEN® gin recipe inspired by a classic from the past. Known as RETRO CHIC this concept puts focus on the bartenders understanding trends and styles from the RETRO era, and thus enabling them to understand classic ingredients and vintage styles. In total we received 17 recipes from 7 outlets, all of which were fantastic.
The top 5 contestants/outlets were;
- Fairmont Hotel – Hauroon Raffajee making a twist on the classic martini called, “The Three course Martini”
- Oyster Box Hotel – Kelly-John Bauwer making a twist on the Negroni called, “The betrayal of the Negroni”
- Oyster Box Hotel – Selvan Govender making a twist on the Cosmopolitan called, “The Retropolitan”
- Harveys Restaurant – Stephen Saunders making a twist on the Negroni called, “Time Capsule Revolution”
- 9th Avenue Bistro – Andy Ngcobo making a twist on the classic Gin Fizz called, “Citrus Gin Fizz”
The panel of judges consisted of;
- Ryan Duvenage – Barcode Mobile
- Joe De Wet – Livingstons Gastro Pub
- Severin Bang – Barcode Mobile
- Alex Farnell - Brandhouse
The Contestants were judged in the following areas;
- Expression of the spirit
- Theatrical Performance
- Brand Knowledge
- Interactivity with the consumer
- Overall etiquette and confidence
The winner of WORLD CLASS Month 2 is….
Making a “Three Course Martini” …winning himself R1000 cash and a R10,000 WORLD CLASS event budget for his outlet…
Well done to Hauroon Raffajee from the Fairmont Hotel in the Zimbali Resort, A truly WORLD CLASS luxury serve that really showed that you knew what the judges were looking for. This drink was a twist on a classic Martini consisting of TANQUERAY NO.TEN GIN, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth and fresh orange zest served with a side pairing of Grapefruit foam and Juniper & Coriander Infused mini bread loaf. Fantastic flavours and really brought a WORLD CLASS gin to life. WELL DONE.
In second place and winning himself R700 cash, goes to Steven Saunders from Harveys Restaurant in Morningside. His recipe was a twist on the classic Negroni in which he served a homemade sorbet with Campari infused wooden spoons. Amazing!
And in third place, winning himself R300 cash, we have Andy Ngbobo, making a Cucumber and Grapefruit infused twist on the classic Gin Fizz. He also made some really interesting garnish by dehydrating slices of fresh grapefruit in some sugar syrup. Very unique and a great presentation. Well Done.
Watch this space for future developments with WORLD CLASS and see you all in the next few days for next months’ training with DON JULIO REPOSADO tequila. May I also ask those who have not “Liked” the WORLD CLASS SOUTH AFRICA Facebook page to please do so? This will keep you updated throughout the competition.
The Launch of the Lamborghini Aventador with World Class and IBV South Africa
0 to 100km/h in 2.9s!
Yesterday I was lucky enough to be involved in the Launch of the new Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 which was hosted by the International Bank Vaults in Gateway. Roughly 1 year ago the IBV started a Super Car Club consisting of members who own Luxury cars valued at 1 million rand or more. The idea is for them to come together to discuss business, cars and basically show off their amazing toys. Last night was the showcase of the first of 6 Aventadors to come to South Africa. With sponsors such as Louis Vuitton, Vernon White and Chanel, it was definitely the playground for the Reserve brands of Diageo; Ciroc© Vodka, Tanqueray© No.Ten™ Gin, Don Julio© Tequila and Johnnie Walker© Gold Label™. I put together a “masterclass” concept to showcase these brands and how one could use them in their own homes. With loads of interest coming through, it was clearly a very successful evening!
The Cocktail menu consisted of 3 Recipes;
- The Lambo’Tini - Vodka Based with white wine and fresh grapes
- The Blush (@mixwithmike) - Gin Based with egg white and elderflower syrup
- El Diablo - Tequila Based with Frankies fiery ginger beer